Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. Can I get my visa in Cambodia?
A1. Yes, you may obtain your visa upon arrival at the two airports in Cambodia: Siem Reap and Phnom Penh and other border checkpoints (Please see answer #14 below)

Q2. What do I need to get my visa in Cambodia (upon arrival)?


Application for a tourist visa requires:

* A completed visa application form
* A Passport with at least 4 months validity
* One recent photograph (4×6 cm)
* Appropriate visa fee (US$20)
*ImportantIn order to be admitted into the country, tourists may need to demonstrate that they have sufficient funds for their stay and a return ticket.

Requirements for obtaining an ordinary (Business) visa into Cambodia:

* A completed visa application form
* A Passport with at least 4 months validity.
* One recent photograph (4×6 cm.)
* Appropriate visa fee (US$25)
* Supporting documents

Q3. May I use the visa applications from the Consulate’s website for processing in Cambodia?
A3. Yes. Also Visa applications for processing in Cambodia will be distribute on board the plane.

Q4. Should I get my visa ahead of time or do it in Cambodia?
A4. By getting your visa at the embassy you will not have to wait in line at the airport.

Q5. Do all nationals need a visa to enter Cambodia?
A5. Everyone who does not hold a Cambodian passport needs a visa to enter the country. (Except Malaysian, Philippines and Singapore.)

Q6. Do young children need visas?
A6. Children under 12 years old need visas but they will be processed for free.

Q7. Is the Cambodian government not admitting certain nationals into the country?
A7. At the moment the royal government of Cambodia welcomes all nationals onto its land. Only certain individuals who have broken the law are on our blacklist.

Q8. I am a national of Canada or Mexico; can the Consulate in Lowell process my visa for me?
A8. Yes, the Consulate General in Lowell can process visas for the American Continent.

Q9. Can I process my visa in New York?
A9. The Cambodian Permanent Mission to the UN in New York does not offer visa processing services at the moment.

Q10. Where can I find the nearest Cambodian Embassy if I live in Europe?
A10. A list of all of the embassies and representative is available on this site. Click here for the list.

Q11. How long will the visa be valid for?
A11. Tourist and business visas are valid for one month starting with the date of entry into Cambodia.

Q12. How long does it take to obtain a visa from the Consulate General in Lowell?
A12 : It usually takes five business days for regular process.

Q13. How do I get a visa that will not expire in one month?
A13: You will need a regular visa for one month to enter Cambodia. Once in Cambodia you may get an extension at the Ministry of Interior.

Q14. Can I cross over to Cambodia by land from Thailand or Vietnam and still get a visa?
A14: Yes, a visa can be issued upon arrival at the border checkpoints into Cambodia.

1- O’smach (Oddar Meanchay Province)
2- Poipet (Beantey MeanChay Province)
3-Prom (Pailin City)
4-Daung (Battambang Province)
5-Chorm (Oddormeanchey)
6-Cham Yeam (Koh Kong Province)

1-Bavet (Svay Rieng Province)
2-Kaom Samnor(Kandal Province)
3-Phnom Den(Takeo Province)
4-Trapaing Sre(Kratie Province)
5-Tropaing Phlong (Kampong Cham Province)

PDR: Dong Kralor( Steung Treng Province).

Q15. : Can I process my visa in Thailand or Vietnam?
A15: Yes, you may obtain a visa in Thailand or Vietnam. Please refer to this link for their addresses.

Khmer Specific

Q1. Do Cambodian citizens who live in the US as a permanent resident need a visa to enter Cambodia?
A1. Everyone who does not hold a valid Cambodian passport needs a visa to enter Cambodia. The visa will be free of charge if you can prove that you are Cambodian.

Q2. My child is Khmer but he/she was born in the refugee camps outside Cambodia. Does my child need to pay for a visa?
A2. If the child is older than 12 years of age and was born outside of Cambodia, the regular fee will not be paid unless his or her mother, father is Cambodian citizen.

Q3. I am an American citizen but I was born in Cambodia. Do I need to pay for a visa?
A3. If your passport shows that your country of birth was Cambodia then you will not be charged for your visa.

Q4. I am a Cambodian citizen who is a permanent resident of the US. How do I travel outside the US if I do not have a passport?
A4. You will need to obtain from the US Immigration and Naturalization Services a passport like document that allows you to leave the country for six month without losing your residency status in the US. Please contact the INS.

Q5. I am a Cambodian citizen with an expiring passport. How do I renew it?
A5. Cambodian passports can be extended at the Consulate. Please call 978-735-4539 for more details. The Passpot extension form can be downloaded here.

Q6. Does the American or Cambodian government recognize dual citizenship?
A6. The Cambodian government recognizes dual citizenship. The American government does not recognize dual citizenship.

Q7. How do I get a new Cambodian passport or renew an old one?
A7. The Consulate can only extend passports. A new one can only be obtained in Cambodia at the Ministry of Interior in Phnom Penh; however, the consulate can assist you. Please call (978) 735-4539 for more detail.

Q8. How do I sponsor my family member to the US?
A8. The government of Cambodia has no jurisdiction over this matter. Please contact the INS and the American embassy in Cambodia.

Q9. Who do I contact to find out the status of my wife or family that I sponsored to come to the US?
A9. You will need to contact the American embassy in Phnom Penh.

Special Information Note

The answers above mention organizations that you should contact for more information. The links to these groups can all be found in the related link categories on the left-hand side of the blog.

The answers may also reference pages found in this blog. Please do search through the blog to find the answers to your questions before you consult the Royal Honorary Consulate General of Cambodia.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s