Preah Borom Ratanak Kaudh’s Royal Statue Erected

image007The groundbreaking ceremony for the erection of the Royal Statue of late King-Father Samdech Preah Norodom Sihanouk, (Preah Borom Ratanak Kaudh), was held here yesterday under the chairmanship of Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen, Prime Minister of Cambodia.

The Preah Borom Ratanak Kaudh’s Royal Statue will be made from the copper with 27 meter height in the public park, some 200 meters east of the Independence Monument.

Phnom Penh Municipal Governor H.E. Kep Chuktema said the construction will cost more than US$ 1 million and is expected to finish in Oct.

King-Father Samdech Preah Norodom Sihanouk passed away on Oct. 15, 2012 at 01:20 am (local time in Phnom Penh) in Beijing, China at the age of 90 from natural causes.

Samdech Preah Norodom Sihanouk was born on Oct. 31, 1922. He was the only son of HRH Prince Norodom Suramarit and HRH Princess Sisowath Kossomak Nearirath Serey Vatthana.

He became the King of the Kingdom of Cambodia in April 1941 and led Cambodia for the full independence from France in 1953.

In 1955, Samdech Preah Norodom Sihanouk abdicated to his father and founded the Sangkum Reastr Niyum (SRN), a country development movement. It won a great victory in the legislative election. At that time, Samdech Preah Norodom Sihanouk became the Prime Minister of Cambodia, and head of state of Cambodia in 1960 after the death of his father.

On March 18, 1970 during the official visit to the ex-USSR, Samdech Preah Norodom Sihanouk was ousted from the power by a Coup d’Etat. Then he became the President of the Cambodian resistance (FUNK).

In April 1975, Samdech Preah Norodom Sihanouk became head of state of Democratic Kampuchea (Khmer Rouge regime), but he resigned in 1976.

From the fall of the Democratic Kampuchea in Jan. 7, 1979 to 1990, Samdech Preah Norodom Sihanouk stayed out of the country and returned back in 1991 and became the King of Cambodia in 1993 until he abdicated in October 2004.

After the abdication, he often stayed in China for his medical treatment until he passed away.

Comments are closed.